Updated & News April 6, 2011
- And it's time for my twice-yearly update of this page, lol. I'm going to give in gracefully and admit that my Facebook page is where to go for the freshest news -- if you're not on Facebook, never worry -- my FB profile updates the front page of this site as well. So let's get on with the updates!!
- NEW class schedule has just been posted here. I'm keeping essentially the same schedule as last term, except that I'm taking Thursday evenings off this term to work on upcoming workshops and performances... lots going on!!
- June 11 Workshop "Sheila Ki Jawaani" info coming soon! If you're interested in signing up, please email me at naimahdance at gmail dot com.
Updates & News December 20, 2010
- I guess I'm a bit behind on my updates... at least to this page! The Winter 2 Schedule for January through March is now up. Please note that at the Mayne Studio, we've switched over to a quarterly schedule, with an easily predictable monthly payment. There will also be a once-yearly "Rak Star" Membership fee, which will make you part of our student membership... then you don't have to keep re-upping when you take a semester off. :) I'm very excited about the schedule, particularly the Bollywood Choreo which is going to be hot, and the Tuesday night BootCamp Series: every month, a new concentration on technique. Don't miss it~
Am putting together my workshop and performance schedule for next year, and the months are filling up fast! Some months are actually already full in 2011, so if you'd like to have me come and teach a workshop or perform at your event, please email me at naimahdance at gmail dot com soon to reserve your date!! :D
Updates & News May 24, 2010
- Warmer weather is here, and so is the Summer Class Schedule! Check it out at the classes page and sign up early - interest is high for the summer season and classes will be hopping. :D
- New performances will be adding this week -- keep your eyes peeled for information about upcoming shows in your area.
Updates & News February 4, 2010
- Happy New Year! I'm a little behind the 8-ball in updating, but please bear with me. Just added 2010 performances through May, and more will be coming... :)
- The Anandani Dancers are now in rehearsal for our first show in May - if you're interested in an April audition to start dancing with the troupe this summer, please contact me at naimahdance at gmail dot com! Lots of exciting new choreographies and ideas in the works!!
- Spring session schedule is being worked on now - coming soon!!
Updates & News December 3, 2009
- November's Benefit Show was a huge hit!! Over 30 dancers donated their art to help raise money for Jason Thompson's fight with cancer. Many thanks to all the performers and other volunteers who helped out! Next benefit: May 2010.
- Updated classes page and added Facebook widget to front page so I can automatically update this site at the same time as I update Facebook (and Twitter, where my username is n3imah).
- Will be updating zazzle.com store with new items for Christmas giving soon, I hope -- more info to come!
Updates & News September 12, 2009
- Just started an online store so you can buy naimah.net T-shirts online!http://www.zazzle.com/n3imah* - should be adding the store to this site soon. :)
Updates & News September 7, 2009
- Happy Labor Day! Have a relaxing and safe day.
- Updated classes and performances - still have to add more performances for September, October, and November... keep watching! More will be coming, soon.
- The Bad News: Unfortunately, the Thursday night class for GR Parks and Rec had to be cancelled, but you can still sign up for the Monday night class, which starts 1 week from today.
- The Good News: On Thursday nights in place of the GR class, I've re-added the Muskegon Thursday night class at the Woman's Club from 6:30 - 7:30pm, starting THIS Thursday. If you'd like more information or to sign up, please let me know at naimahdance at gmail dot net, or call me at 616-862-1900.
- Fall classes at the Mayne Studio are filling up (especially the Bollywood classes on Sunday and Wednesday) so register now to hold your spot! classes page
- Have added new videos to my YouTube channel; more are coming, hopefully soon, from the Summer Haflas. We have an actual videographer (ooooooh!! aaaaaah!!) working on better quality videos, so keep your eyes peeled for those as well. :) My YouTube channel...
- Kim of Bellydance Kalamazoo has added my Kalamazoo Bollywood workshop to her site, so you can sign up there & get all the info: bellydancekalamazoo.com, or you can download the PDF flier here.
Updates & News July 31, 2009
- My appendix is out, and I lived! Hooray! (lol)
- Fall Schedule is now up, including several *new* classes at the Mayne Studio and one new night for GR Parks and Rec. :)
- Am performing in South Haven Aug 1, and of course at our own Summer Hafla and Enchanted Evening on August 7 & 8. :D If you'd like to help out and see the show for free, let me know!
Updates & News June 23, 2009
- Classes page updated! Finally, my schedule for summer session has settled down and is on the classes page. Whew! :)
- NEW Beginner Class Tuesday nights - to cover the interim between Boot Camp 1 and 2, and because the Monday Parks and Rec class is full with a waiting list, I'll be adding a Beginner class on Tuesday nights starting June 30 at the Mayne Studio, time TBD. If you're interested in taking the class, please email me at naimahdance at gmail dot com to let me know and to give me your vote as to class time. I'd like to make it 5:30 - 6:30, but I'm flexible. Classes will be $10 per week for 4 weeks, so if you'd like to register, let me know now. Thanks!
Updates & News June 4, 2009
Na'imah is now a partner in the Mayne Studio!
- Well, it's official: Na'imah and Sarah have joined forces to bring you a new and improved Mayne Studio - now with larger dance space and retail store - look for changes coming soon to TMS's website!
- New Na'imah Night added for June: Appearances page
- Double Trouble Workshop added to Classes page
- Festival performance on Sunday June 6 added to Appearances page
Updates & News April 28, 2009
Boot Camp Classes now registering on this site!
- Sign up now for Boot Camp! Schedule is on my Classes page and also at the Mayne Studio's site here. Classes are filling and May 31 will be here sooner than you think!
- Next Na'imah Night: Laylat Al-Nujoum, "Night of Stars" - a benefit for the Relay for Life! This May 9 show will feature students and other dancers from around the region - Traverse City, Lansing, Battle Creek, and Jackson, as well as Grand Rapids - and proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Come out and support a good cause while enjoying a night of great bellydance!
Details are on my appearances page, or you can view the flier here.
You can buy tickets on the front page of this site: here.
- Coming soon: Boot Camp t-shirts to order, and information about our August Summer Show!
Updates & News March 4, 2009
Movie Night, New Performances, and Bootcamp Logo
- Sign up now for Spring Classes!
Classes are starting in 4 days for Spring session classes! Schedule is on my Classes page and also at the Mayne Studio's site here. Classes are filling and March 8 will be here sooner than you think!
Double Trouble Workshops March 14 are filling up! Details are here.
Next Na'imah Night: Movie Night, March 29! This month's movie is "Bunty aur Babli", a romantic comedy featuring dance, an actual plot, and of course, gorgeous costumes. :) It's about a small-town boy and girl who have big dreams... they meet and decide to pursue their destinies together, but can they stay ahead of the police long enough to make it big? More importantly, how long will it take them to realize they're perfect for each other? Find out on Movie Night!
Details are on my appearances page, or you can view the flier here.
The Belly Dance Boot Camp logo is here, and we'll be getting T-shirt order forms ready soon. Here's a sneak peek at this year's logo:
Today's updates: new performances listed, fliers for Movie Night, and Boot Camp logo.
Updates & News February 17, 2009
New Class Schedules, "Double Trouble" Workshops, and Boot Camp 2009 is a GO!
New Spring Session Schedules are up on my classes page, including new pricing for the Spring; I've also added the "Double Trouble" workshop that Sarah and I are teaching in March - finger cymbals and improvisation - and it's filling up fast; and Sarah and I have just set the dates for Belly Dance Boot Camp 2009. More information, including the new T-shirt logo and early order forms for t-shirts, will be available soon!
Thank you to everyone who made February 9's Harem Nights party such a sold-out success. I've got the photos from the photographer and I'm hoping to post some soon so you can see how much fun we had! (If you had your photo taken and have not received an email from me today about it, please email me at naimahdance at gmail dot net to get the address!)
Next Na'imah Night: Movie Night, March 29!
Updates & News January 17, 2009
Happy New Year!
Well, I'm finally updating the website with 2009 performance dates, and I'm only partially done - more will be coming in the next couple of weeks as I fill in the calendar. Today's updates include: updating the website to 2009 (has it really been a year since my last redesign? Jenkies! Time flies...**), adding February and March Na'imah Nights, and starting on the performance calendar. Keep watching, more to come. :)
**It's an old joke and a terrible one, but I can't resist: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Updates & News December 22, 2008
Special Breaking News!!
Hindi Movie "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" will be at Celebration North, one night only: December 23rd at 7:30pm!!
Don't miss your one chance to see this film starring ShahRukh Khan in Grand Rapids! For more information, email me at dance at naimah dot net. :D Also let me know if you're interested in more upcoming Bollywood hits brought to G.R. by Best Entertainment, and I'll pass along the info. Thanks and have a great holiday!
Updates & News December 7, 2008
- Just added: Winter 2 Session Class Schedule!. Registration is now open!
- The January Winter Hafla is officially SOLD OUT. If you have tickets, don't lose 'em! (lol)
- To make their debut at the Winter Hafla on January 9: new Na'imah and Mayne Studio T-shirts, and "The Essential Diva" - our very own exclusive gift package for aspiring divas! The "Divas" will be an extremely limited edition -- we're only making 6 -- and will include everything you need to bring your bellydance study to the next level. Many thanks to Raisa of the Dark Flower Gypsies, who's designing and creating the costume sets for us!
For advance information or to place a hold on one of these sets, email dance at naimah dot net.
- *One-of-a-kind* wrap top and flowing circle skirt designed & created exclusively for The Essential Diva
- Shiny Brass 2-Hole Zills (finger cymbals)
- Flowing bellydance veil in matching or coordinating color
- Matching Coin Hip Belt to give sass to your movements!
- I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks!! I'll be back at my desk around Christmastime, so if you try to contact me between now and then, I'll be a while getting back to you (although I will be checking email from time to time). I am still scheduling New Year's parties, so don't despair if you'd like to have me dance at your event! Have a great holiday season and I'll see you in January.
Updates & News November 11, 2008
- Just added: New December Classes during the holiday break. More information on the Yuletide Shimmy Session is here.
- Added "Testimonials" page. If you have a story or thoughts you'd like to share about Na'imah, please email it to naimahdance at gmail dot com. Thanks!
Updates & News November 3, 2008
- Thanks to everyone who came to the Hallowe'en Hafla, including Nader and Kathy from Pyramid. A good time was had by all, especially us. :)
- Just added: November 23 Beginner Bedlah Costume Making Class! the class starts at 6pm and we'll be making a simple beginner bedlah (bra & belt set) out of 2 hip scarves, a bra, and a bit of ribbon. More information is here.
- Added "What to Wear" and "What to Bring" sections to the classes page. :)
Updates & News September 23, 2008
- (yawn!) Well, it's 2am and I've just put up my new classes page with my Fall and Winter schedules on it... keep in mind if they're clear as mud, they were updated "in the wee small hours of the morning" - please let me know if there's anything on there that simply doesn't make sense. :) And now it's bedtime!
Updates & News September 2, 2008
- Boot Camps are over, and last call for Boot Camp T-shirts is on NOW! We'll be placing our final order Sept. 7, so please get those orders placed!! A link to the order form (Word doc) is here. They look fabulous and are running a little large, so (as Sarah put it, I love this) "don't worry, a small won't be like trying to squeeze your tots into one knee sock ;) ".
- Updated Appearances page to include September Na'imah Movie Night, and also Oasis dance camp! More updates will be coming in mid-September. :)
- Updates this time around: appearances page
Updates & News August 15, 2008
- Classes are now in session for Boot Camp #2 - there are still a couple spaces left. If you're in my Drum Solo Choreography class, I've posted a reference video for class and workshop participants only on YouTube. If you're in the class and would like access, please friend n3imah at YouTube.com (you will need a free registration to see this video). If you're technologically unable to register for YouTube, please contact me & we'll figure something out. :)
- I've been slowly but surely adding videos from the July 25th show, you can find them at my youtube channel. The most recent add was my drum solo (including the choreography from this term's class). More are yet to come as time allows! :)
- T-shirt order for the first Boot Camp is in process now, so we'll let you know when your shirt is in!! If you'd ike to order a shirt for Session 2, order forms are available outside the studio or you can download the order form here as a Word document and either fill it in & email it to me with a PaylPal payment for $29 ($28 plus PayPal upcharge), or you can email me for directions on how to snail mail it here with a check.
- Updates this time around: youtube videos, appearance page
Updates & News (August 2, 2008)
- Time for another update! Lots of new events and surprises adding in the next month or two, including new classes, shows, & a bonus Na'imah Night (I know, I said I wasn't gonna, but I slipped...).
- Boot Camp T-shirts available for order NOW! Don't miss out on this exclusive Limited Edition Boot Camp T,available only through Sept. 1 (the end of Boot Camp session 2). We're planning to make two orders, one this week and one the last week of Boot Camp 2 - so don't hesitate if you're interested. [download Word order form here]
- Boot Camp Session 2: STARTS Sunday Aug. 10!! For more information or to sign up, check out my schedule page or email me at dance at naimah dot net. These classes will give lots of individual attention, tips and tricks I don't have time for in my regular classes, so don't miss out. [register here] :)
- How To Make Cheap & Easy Beginner Costumes will be a special 2-hour class on Sunday night, August 24, from 6 - 8 pm, $10 at door. I'll show lots of examples of how to make quick and easy no-sew or little-sew costumes on a budget - see some early items from my dance wardrobe! It'll be like a museum exhibit. (lol) Don't forget to RSVP, space will be limited.
- Thanks to everyone who attended the Drum Solo Workshop and our Full Moon Hafla! We had wonderful attendance at both, and I hope a good time was had by all. Hopefully, I'll be getting some video from the hafla up soon, so - keep your eyes peeled.
- I'm adding a 45-minute Bellydance Workout Session on Sundays from 4:30 - 5:15 and Wednesdays from 7:30 - 8:15, starting August 10! This class will be on a drop-in basis and will be $10 a class or $40 for 5 weeks pre-paid; and I'm hoping to keep this going for the rest of the year, following the Mayne Studio's schedule of classes & vacations. This class will be very light on instruction and heavy on movement, so some Beginner experience is suggested!
- Website updates this 'round: appearances page; schedule page with new Wednesday and Sunday classes; and, well, updated this page! (lol)
Updates & News (July 10, 2008)
- Time for your monthly update... lots is going on here in Na'imah-land: getting ready for Oasis Dance Camp's trip to Morocco in November; planning the Boot Camp classes which start on Sunday (Jenkies!) & burning CDs and typing up choreography notes; preparing a fabulous hafla for you on July 26th; and figuring out the final details of some Eid surprises. :)
- Boot Camp Session 1: For more information or to sign up, check out my schedule page or email me at dance at naimah dot net. These classes will give lots of individual attention, tips and tricks I don't have time for in my regular classes, so don't miss out. [register here] :)
- Drum Solo Workshop on July 26 at the Mayne Studio! Sarah and I will be teaching a pair of workshops on July 26 (a Saturday). She'll be doing a morning Tribal Sword workshop (you'll need to get a sword, see her website for details) and I'll be teaching the Drum Solo choreography that will be featured on Wednesday nights in Session 2 of the Boot Camp. If you're a registered student for the Drum Solo choreography class, you will get a 25% discount on this workshop! Email me at dance at naimah dot net for details, or [register here]!.
- Full Moon Hafla 8pm July 26th! We're going back to our roots with this exciting show, in which we'll feature not only us, but also some of our student performers. I'm very excited about the show's lineup, in which I'll be doing both choreographies from the Boot Camps *and* a special comedy number. Don't miss out - email me to RSVP your $10 tickets!
[check out the flyer for more information, here]
- Website updates this 'round: appearances page with Hafla, boot camp, and Gilda's Club class on July 19; schedule page with boot camp information; added Anna of Marulanna Mehndi's walk-in hours on July 24th and 31st to my calendar; and, well, updated this page! (lol)
Updates & News (June 5, 2008)
- Well! It's been a bit of a busy month or two here, and things are continuing to heat up for summer. I perform tomorrow at Festival of the Arts during Ensemble Al-Asdeka's set at the Calder Stage at 1:10pm. I think everyone should get the day off work so they can come down to the festival - everything's free except the food, and there are lots of wonderful local musicians, dancers, and artists to see. There's a link to Festival on my Appearances page under "June" if you'd like more information.
Some wonderful artists and friends who'll be performing:
- The Muskegon class starts up again TONIGHT, June 5, at the Great Women's Club in Muskegon. For more information or to sign up, check out my schedule page or email me at dance at naimah dot net. This class is filling up, so don't miss out! :)
- This weekend there's a lot going on: Festival, a party performance on Saturday night, and Sunday's "Arabian Night IV" with Sabrina Parshall and Ahlam from Kalamazoo! For more information on Arabian Night, go to my appearances page - I'll hope to see you there. Whew!!
- In the works for this summer: Extra Na'imah Night on Saturday June 28, I'll be teaching an Egyptian choreography workshop in G.R. July 26, SUMMER HAFLA July 26!, and more surprises... :)
- Also updated: my links page, with some new friends from the International Bellydance Conference of Canada!
Have a great weekend!
Updates & News (April 30, 2008)
Whew!! More things are in the works for this Summer and Fall, so keep your eyes peeled!!
- Just added: 2 classes in Expressive Arts at the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts. As part of the Expressive Arts program, Kathy Roberts of Al-Asdeka and I will be co-facilitating 2 classes in June for adolescent refugees and adolescents in domestic foster care. We'll talk about how to use Middle Eastern dance and creative movement to foster creative engagement and self-expression.
- Just got home from the International Bellydance Conference of Canada, where I studied with Aida Nour and Tito of Egypt, among others. What a fabulous time, and what an amazing experience. I highly recommend this to dancers and students who wish to learn a lot and be exposed to Canada's thriving and creative dance scene. And meet divine people!! :)
- I've been invited to perform at Cassandra's Cabaret in Minneapolis in June, at the end of Cassandra's Weeklong Intensive. I've you've never studied with Cassandra, you're really missing out. Her technique is immaculate and she's a generous and fun teacher... this workshop has been transformative for me, and I'm honored to be part of the Saturday night performance. More information is available at: Jawaahir.org, the website of the Cassandra School and Jawaahir Dance Company.
- Just added demos and classes for East Grand Rapids' American Cancer Society Relay for Life (May 16 @ 5pm) and Gilda's Club of Grand Rapids (May 17th, 9 - 10:30am). I'm excited! :)
- The summer's heating up, and spaces are starting to fill in the Bellydance Bootcamp sessions in July and August - don't be left behind. Email me now if you'd like me to reserve you a spot, or if you have questions!
- Next weekend I'll be performing in Kalamazoo for the workshop with Tayyar Akdeniz of Turkey. More information and registration form is available at The West Michigan School of Middle Eastern Dance.
Don't miss Arabian NIght III in Kalamazoo this Sunday! (Apr. 4, 2008)
[Click here for flier with more information!]
Video from Serpentine Workshop is now available for participants. Email Na'imah for details! (March 21, 2008)
Updates & News! (March 19, 2008)
- Spring Schedule is officially up and registrations are now open!
- Thanks to everyone who came to the Serpentine Workshop - am working on the video right now, and the choreography note fixes have been emailed out. If you attended but didn't receive a copy, email me and let me know!
- I've just added a women's retreat for October - more details to come. :)
- Coming this summer: Belly Dance Boot Camp at the Mayne Studio. Sarah will be teaching Tribal, Folkloric, & choreographies, and I'm planning to concentrate on style, technique, and performance - and probably a choreography as well. Interested? Keep checking here, or ask me in class... and yes, the studio has air-conditioning. ;)
- Last but not least, I've got the images from the Harem Nights party in February. If you were there and haven't seen them yet, email me for the top-secret archive location.
Serpentine Workshop March 16 is filling up :)
Don't forget to register for the Spring term for all classes!
March 8 performance at the Sultana Dancers' workshop show with Amaya
New Beginner class starts Sunday, Feb. 24th in cooperation with Mena Imports
A new Beginner class will start this Sunday at the Mayne Studio at 2pm. Mena Imports, Grand Rapids' own Egyptian import store, will be presenting this class with me, and all students will have the exciting perk of a 10% discount off all of Mena Imports' Egyptian bellydance attire - this includes dresses, hip and shoulder scarves, finger cymbals and more! For more information, visit 966 Cherry St. SE, or call the store at 233.0553.
A $15 deposit is required to hold your spot in this class, and you can sign up at Mena Imports or (if you'd like to use a credit card via PayPal) you can sign up on my class schedule page.
(click on the small image to see the flier)
February 18: follow-up on Kalamazoo show & Thursday Muskegon class reminder
Thank you to all my students and dance friends (new and old) who came out to see the Sunday night show in Kalamazoo - despite a 2-hour power loss and intermittent technical difficulties, the show was a roaring success! We were standing-room only (I saw some people standing and eating because seats with a view of the dance floor were gone) and the house was incredibly lively, people staying on the dance floor until midnight! We saw spontaneous demonstrations of debke, Saudi dance, and lots and lots of plain old backside-wiggling. Again, thank you to everyone who was at the show. Sabrina and I enjoyed ourselves tremendously and hope we have the opportunity to do it again sometime. :) Video to come!
Also, as a reminder, the Thursday night beginner class in Muskegon will not meet this week! Regularly scheduled classes in Muskegon will resume next week Thursday (weather permitting, let's keep our fingers crossed). Thank you! :)
February 17, 2008: Show in Kalamazoo!
Featuring performances by Na'imah and Sabrina of South Haven and affordable Middle Eastern food by Shawarma King of Kalamazoo.
- Wayside West, 3406 Stadium Drive, Kalamazoo
- Tickets $20/ $15 Student with ID/ $30 per couple.
For tickets and information call Mazen @ 269-375-3900 or 269-388-7000, Flying Dog Garage @ 269-345-6780, or Wayside @ 269-375-1930x1.
February 14, 2008
Happy Valentine's Day (or Singles' Awareness Day, if that's what you'd rather celebrate)! By popular request, class in Muskegon is cancelled for the night.
February 11, 2008
GR Public Schools has cancelled today, so we've got another snow day as well for GR Parks & Recreation. :( So stay inside if you can tonight, and stay warm. Put on your favorite song and try to shimmy all the way through... I'll see you next week, I hope!
February 10, 2008
Well, it's another winter storm today, but it's also (ironically) the makeup class *and* the beginning of the new term - so I'm planning to be at the studio today to hold classes, and if you'd like to come, you're very welcome to join me. Please call 862-1900 if you have any questions. Drive safely!! Thanks! :)
February 8, 2008
- Tomorrow is the last day for earlyird Zar workshop signup!
- New session at Mayne Studio starts Sunday, so if you wanted to sign up, now's the time!
- Muskegon class will not meet Feb 14 in honor of Singles Awareness Day (I mean Valentine's Day), and also Feb. 21 because I will be on vacation! (happy dance)
February 1, 2008
Check out my ad in February's Women's Lifestyle Magazine!
New Beginner Class in Muskegon!
Starting Thursday, Jan. 31, I'll be teaching a 10-week Beginner class at the Greater Muskegon Women's Club. The class will cost $10 per week, which can either be paid completely in advance or in 2 payments. Pre-registration is highly recommended as the class is almost full! Register online on the class schedule page, or email me at dance at naimah dot net for more information on how to pay in installments. Thanks! :)
January 30, 2008
Wednesday night classes at the Mayne Studio are cancelled due to weather! For makeup information, please check your email - all current students were emailed a list of available make-up classes. :) Stay warm!
January 28, 2008
For starters, the brand-new site is finally ready to go! I've added new links & resources, new photos, new classes & venues, new performances - and on the way are my video reviews, bellydance FAQ, and testimonials. So please keep checking back for new content in the next couple of weeks; and if you find anything that doesn't work or doesn't make sense, please email me at dance at naimah dot net and let me know!